Old Drum

Commentary on Warrensburg, Johnson County and Missouri issues from a Libertarian perspective. View my earlier commentary at www.olddrum.net.

Monday, March 27, 2006

A Scary Poll

I've been following the results of the current informal poll at digitalBurg. It seems that a majority of those participating think that government has the right to ban smoking where-ever government and anti-smoking zealots please. That's scary.

Why is it scary? First, it says that government knows best for you. That's a common problem among those who think that governemnt has to keep people from doing things that may be bad for them. It's intrusive, it's excessive.

Second, it says that anti-smoking zealots will slant things (such as stacking a poll) to get it to turn out as they want it. That's an "ends justify the means" aproach.

I don't smoke and I prefer to patronize non-smoking establishments. I don't allow smoking in my own business. I fully support voluntary limits on smoking. I support the government, acting as an employer, when it bans smoking on its own premises. I do not support government meddling in the private lives of those who want to indulge in this particular form of stupidity just because soemone else on the street may be offended.

In Liberty

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home