Old Drum

Commentary on Warrensburg, Johnson County and Missouri issues from a Libertarian perspective. View my earlier commentary at www.olddrum.net.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Audit Raises LOTS of Questions

I visited the Courthouse today (on something completely different) and got to look at State Auditor McCaskill's report on the "problems" at the Recorder of Deeds' office. You can read the story at digitalBurg.com so I won't go into details here. My reaction as I read through it? First it was "oooh," then "OOOH," and finally with the disclosure of the sweetheart deal with a title company - "OOOOOOOH." Trust me, there are some pretty egregious findings there.

I am very curious as to which title company was involved and what, if any, the political connections of that company are. I'm sure the Attorney General will be aggressive in his investigation, since he's running for Governor in 2008 and nothing makes him look better than uncovering and prosecuting government corruption.

If there's any local political hay to be made of this scandal, I'm sure some candidates will come up with some proposals; I may even do so myself. I understand that the bonding requirements for these positions are ridiculously low, so an update of the statuory requirements may be in order. A little more sunshine on government never hurt anyone, either.

In any case, it will be interesting to watch as the matter unfolds.

In Liberty

1 Comments:

  • At Sunday, April 09, 2006 2:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The company was Central Title Company. Check with Ben to comfirm. Article should be coming out soon with details (I hope)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home